Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Whole Foods Machine

Any of you NYCers been to Whole Foods at Union Square lately? I know I sometimes rant about it, but I had a gift card! (Russ: I confess I scampered over there directly following the mini-rant I delivered to you via cell phone on the suburbanization of New York.)

Anyway, they've got a new check-out system. I'll withhold judgement--let's just say it involves TV screens, colors, and robots. Or at least robotic recorded voices. And mass chaos! It's funny to see people react to a new system of organization (by that I mean being herded like the cattle we are).

Do you think it's meant to replace that person who points you toward the next open register? There was one there tonight, and he seemed resentful. Replacing people with robot voices (and colors and TV screens) would seem to run counter to the store's corporate hippie ethos, but they can repurpose him to nut packaging.

Little known WFM nugget I heard from a friend and employee. The average wait time in NYC stores is 6 minutes. If true, that's pretty pretty good. You could do far worse in a line of three people at Duane Reade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like RRRFFF or whatever that is , think its the ability to scan and read all of ,or the only credit card that you have in your purse/wallet/ass-sack as soon as you enter the "space to shop" area you have gone into, before you know it you will just amble into a shopping area and be

R2B2 said...

They may as well just implant the chip in my head at this point in time.