Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Arcade Fire Grinch


I am the Arcade Fire Grinch. I really tried with Funeral, but it's so cacophanous. Now I am listening to Neon Bible and it's just okay...i like it better than Funeral (barely) but a) she sounds too much like Bjork, b) a lot of their songs wind up sounding like Band Aid due to all the bells - the bells don't work like they do in "Hitsville UK" by The Clash - I dig those bells - let's not even TALK ABOUT THE BELLS IN "NOW I WANNA BE YOUR DOG!"!! - but these make me feel like Bono is going to chime in with "Tonight thank god it's them instead of you." The DJ on my crappy download said, after one yet another annoying songs finished, "If this music doesn't get you somewhere special, then there's something wrong with you." Okay. Oh and c) she sounds too much like Bjork. Well worth saying twice. It's egregious. Oh and d) please tell me that track 2, "Keep the Car Running," is not IDENTICAL to that song "On the Dark Side" by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band from the movie Eddie and the Cruisers???

When it comes to French-Canadian, I'll stick with Voivod.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a 100% with you!
All the way.

Russ said...

Hey Ron, how did you find this blog? Just curious b/c we just started it yesterday and you are our first respondent!

Anonymous said...

stratfordmercenaries.co.uk

Judy said...

Ah, Voivod! Poor Piggy!

Russ said...

You know, I road back on a tour bus from Paris to London with Voivod (and Neurosis) when Ed was their guitar tech on a tour. Piggy was seriously the nicest guy ever. For those who don't know, Denis "Piggy" D'Amour was the guitarist of Voivod and died of cancer last year. I had the pleasure of seeing them play in London and Paris, will never forget the baffled expressions on the faces of the Parisian audience as Piggy addressed them in his Canadian-ized French. We then rodd back on the bus and partied all night long. The band was and will always be fucking awesome, and he was and will always be one of the coolest, seetest people I have met. I feel really lucky to have that memory.