Thursday, March 15, 2007

Bo Dietl Eats $1K Pizza; Doesn't Care for Crust!


This morning's post on NYC's cop buildup was me putting my best foot forward. Because I really wanted to talk about a most excellent story in The Metro, which is always useful for a nugget or two.

A Grand Slice of Pizza Indeed
Michael Rundle, Metro New York

MIDTOWN. The world’s most expensive pizza was unveiled yesterday — priced at $1,000.

It is topped with six different kinds of Petrossian caviar, Maine lobster, crème fraiche and chives. And the premium-priced pie was not a one-time thing. It’s available at 24 hours notice at Nino’s Bellissima restaurant.

According to Nino Salimaj, the creator of the pizza and owner of five other restaurants in the city, the pizza was a labor of love — and is well worth the money.

“I said I was going to come up with the greatest pie under the sky,” he said. “We did a lot of research, and I think this is the winner.”

Salimaj said he worked with more than a hundred combinations for more than a year to get the taste just right.

“Anyone can go out and throw caviar on a pizza,” he said. “But it’s not going to taste the same. You need the skills and the talent to do it properly.”

The first person to taste the pie was Bo Dietl. He paid for the pizza in cash and folded a slice before eating it with his hands.

“This is the greatest thing I’ve ever tasted,” he said. “Honestly, it’s friggin’ delicious.”

Dietl said he had decided to be the first to try the new dish after winning a bet on the Super Bowl.

But not even the world’s most expensive pizza is perfect. “It was delicious,” Dietl said. “But I would want the crust done a little more next time.”


Check out Grub Street's post if only to gawk at Nino, the jackass who took a full year to make a pizza that apparently tastes like a bagel.

I'll forego a rant about starving children in India so we can focus on Bo Dietl's part in this story. How awesome is his quote? I love how he called Nino out on the crust. He paid in cash and even implied that he might order it again. Best of all, he folded it! I would be so nervous, especially with press looking on, that I would have used utensils, for sure, and probably would have dabbed at the corners of my mouth with a napkin on top of that.

Some of you may recognize Bo Dietl as the potty mouthed security expert on the Daily Show. If you were impressed with what you saw, you should snatch up his memoir One Tough Cop in which he collars perps left and right and instigates all kinds of drama down at the precinct trying to take down the blue wall of silence. Kind of like Serpico but only if Serpico were a complete jerk instead of a stoned hamster lover.

I found a copy in the back of my closet in the last apartment I moved into. Much more interesting and useful than the miniature Greek Orthodox bible from the apartment before.

2 comments:

Russ said...

Hey R2B2, which apartment was that? The last one in Pork Slop (that's Park Slope, for those of you who don't know)?

R2B2 said...

Russ, I found One Tough Cop in the closet in Clinton Hill. The bible was in the basement at 17th Street (aka Church of the Nazarene). R2B2