Monday, March 26, 2007

Narn Airn


That's how they say "Northern Ireland" in Northern Ireland. I know, because I am married to a Narn Airn boy.

Anyway, this scary fucker is Ian Paisley (who looks like he is saying Narn Airn in this picture, btw). He's in the news today as he and sexy, not scary Gerry Adams have reached some sort of agreement that will supposedly fix the fucked up-ness that is Narn Airn. Pardon my skepticism, but we've been down this road before.

I was raised with a healthy fear of Ian Paisley thanks to my mother. Always the actress, my mother would put on nightly shows for me at bedtime in which all of my stuffed animals would have personas and funny voices and act out little stories. Hence a bear in a tux that came free with some kind of cologne was called Tuxedo Teddy and spoke with a very posh English accent. You get the idea. Well, I had one bear that was probably a gift from some loser who deosn't know from kids as he was decidedly un-fun - he was not soft at all and seemed to be destined for purely decorative purposes. He also happend to be made of paisly fabric. So this bear was called...drum roll...Ian Paisley, and spoke with a broad Narn Airn accent and preached Proddy (Protestant) hellfire and brimstone and bullied all the other bears and lions and dogs and stuff. He was exactly like the real Ian Paisley - in other words, he was fucking terrifying.

So now here I am, 25 years later, married to a man whose favorite past-time is, for some reason, to read me Edward Gorey books in the voice of Ian Paisley and scare me. And I have no hope for this latest chapter in the fucked up history of Narn Airn, because I know that scary bear will never truly acquiesce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you bloggers seen 'the wind that shakes the barley?' yet? it's not bad and since i know fuck all about the history of ireland, rather enlightening from an historical point of view. cillian murphy is compelling in it and strangely attractive although i've seen him use his intense looks in a creepy way before (as in the flick 'red eye' which is pretty good too. wes craven directed that one. worth seeing).

Russ said...

Cillian Murphy is hot, even though he looks like a girl. I like him in 28 Days Later. Red Eye was good too. Did you see Breakfast on Pluto?? Not sure how I felt about that one. He was a tranny though, so good use of the whole pretty thing.

I plan to see Wind that Shakes the Barley - I love Ken Loach. Plus the whol Narn Airn husband thing.

Anonymous said...

Terrifying photo, but I will say that those teeth made me miss David Bowie's old chompers a little.

R2B2 said...

Cillian Murphy was really handsome in 28 Day Later and didn't look at all like a girl. But maybe it's because we got a peek at his penis? I agree he totally looks like a girl nowadays and tranny movies don't help matters.