Saturday, March 17, 2007

Originals vs. Covers

I often find cover versions of songs to be not to my liking. They generally range from derivative (the band doesn't "make it their own," to use the parlance of American Idol) to inferior to downright blasphemous. However, as with all things in life, there are some exceptions. I have begun burning a series of CDs that put originals alongside their near-as-good-as or even better cover versions. In some cases there are multiple versions of a song. I'm really into blues, a genre that has definite standards that have ben picked up and reworked many times.

I have quite a number of songs already on the playlists, but am curious as to people's input. Let me know some cover songs you like or loathe.

For the record, my favorite original/cover combo is Gallows Pole as originated by Leadbelly and covered by Zep. Close second are the Iggy/Bowie takes on China Girl (also my karaoke standard - you should see me when I stumble into town just like a sacred cow - not a dry eye in the house).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't for the most part like Nouvelle Vague, but their cover of 'too drunk to fuck' (by the Dead Kennedys originally I think)is one case where their formula works...

Anonymous said...

i agree, they are really gimmicky but that one is kind of cool - very cabaret-ish. speaking of, richard cheese is definitely on my list - most of Lounge Against the Machine is gret. Gimmicky but works. His cover of Rape Me is my favorite.

R2B2 said...

I think Iggy recorded China Girl before Bowie. But didn't they write it together? Not sure that either version would qualify as a cover for that reason, regardless of which came first.

Russ said...

Iggy recorded it first, definitely ('77). However you are correct - they wrote it together. That is an interesting point - I think the "original" version is the first to record it, and even if the person who wrote - or co-wrote it - later records it, it's a cover. I can't think of any other examples of this though!