Wednesday, March 28, 2007

NYC: Spring Temperatures, and Chocolate Jesus, De-Enrage R2B2



So the other day I made some salty, albeit true, comments about the decline of NYC. I admit I was feeling a mite moody being that I was still working on that "master cleanse." When I left the office at the end of the day in search of pad thai (for the record, not the most colon-friendly end to a 5 day fast), I discovered that spring had sprung!

As you NYCers know, nothing in this world is better than our fair city at a balmy 73 degrees. I cut through Chinatown, which, incidentally, doesn't start to stink until 78 degrees or so. The storefronts along Grand Street go something like this: veg, fish, dried fish, bakery, roast meat, bakery, dried fish, repeat. On the LES, I stopped to snicker at a gaggle of frat boys in cargo shorts, then, on the next block, a Bangladeshi man tried to sell me a man's down coat (somehow oddly tempting). NYC's still a very charming place, even if the yuppies are taking over.

Anyway, after I scarfed down that pad thai , I watched The Host, that Korean monster movie, which I highly recommend.

And then I read about this juicy tidbit:
Artist Cosimo Cavallaro's MY SWEET LORD, a six-foot CHOCOLATE JESUS on a cross, will go on display, just in time for Easter! Between April 1 and April 7, you can view Him between the hours of midnight to 1am and 6 to 7pm at the Lab Gallery in the Roger Smith Hotel (47th and Lex). What the fuck?

5 comments:

Russ said...

Dude that Jesus is AWESOME!!!! What part would you eat? I'd go traight for the sweet, juicy stigmata.

Other thoughts:

1. The coat thing is weird b/c we just got an e-mail at work asking if anyone had misplaced a camel coat. It's like 83 degrees today! The only person I know who can wear that heavy of clothing in this hot of weather is an NYC homeless person, and there aren't any of those working at this particular law firm (although that would totally rock).

2. My favorite thing in Chinatwon storefronts is the bucket of wind-up plastic frogs to play with, right next to a bucket of real frogs to eat. That and the black chickens.

Anonymous said...

I just want you ho's to know that
a) Chocolate Jesus was forged (baked?) next door to the new home of MAS which was all over the news today.
b) MAS was asked to move Chocolate Jesus today but politely declined due to the fact that it is chocolate and would probably break.

Anonymous said...

i'd suck on our lord christ's fingers and then nibble on his ears. just like the easter bunny. do you think the timing on thsis thing is coincidence? methinks not.

sisi-san said...

I see the chocolate jesus exhibition has been cancelled due to death threats. Oh well... Don't discount receiving the colon cleansing kit. June is right around the corner!

R2B2 said...

All y'all are pussies as MAS. Poor chocolate Jesus. He's been totally misunderstood!