Thursday, March 22, 2007

What Do We Think of Edwards?




Ok. I’m way confused. At first I thought Edwards was a putz. I thought Stewart hit the nail on the head when he called him John “Supercuts” Edwards. I mean, shit, that hair. But fucking look at him – dude is 53 fucking years old and looks 12. BUT. I basically would jump into a volcano for krugman and he loves Edwards. I’m all about health care and Edwards is the only one with a viable plan – or a plan at all, instead of platitudes and either black (it looks more purplish to me) skin or a vagina. And he’s all about unions and I have a romantic liberal passion for that shit. I read too much dos passos. Yeah so I dig him and at work, it was weird today. Because I knew the announcement was coming, but didn’t care. But about five of us (all women)watched it on the tv at work - I'm pretty sure it was the first time it was ever on anything other than sports. Anyway, so we all stood there and watched and by the end I still had no idea what me or anyone else thought of Edwards, nor was I sure why any of us were taking time out of day to watch. All I could muster was to say: ”I mean, it sucks if he drops out; he’s the only one with a health care plan etc.” Everyone Else: Silence. I think the only thing a lot of women are sure about with him is that they think he’s foxy. Yuck! Something about him reminds me so much of a smarmy classic southern democrat. I grew up with this shit – Georgia was almost ALL democrat when I grew up and now it’s almost ALL republican…and it wasn’t just the jesus and the brainwashing that made it that way…politicians here were sleazy. It’s like Louisiana is now – look at that asshole with the money in the freezer. Anyway so yeah there’s something sleazy about Edwards. That youthful look smacks of Faust or Dorian Gray or some shit. BUT….what he was doing today was sleazy, kind of tacky exploiting personal shit, but a) people would have been in their business regardless and b) his angle was brilliant from a PR perspective…his thing is healthcare. They’re all like, “we’re going through hell, but we know it would be worse if we were broke like most of you and had shitty or no health care, so for that reason we are staying in!” Smart!!! But it kind of working on me. But it’s all moot…isn’t it? I mean, isn’t it all decided? Somehow I’m not so sure. So I’m going with the most populist guy. I guess I’m a fucking hippie, or commie - i am a populist at the end of the day. I covet shit on the United Farm Workers website store. But at the end of the day I want one thing, and I will throw Supercuts to the wolves if I have to for it, and you know what that is…no Naders this time...we all have to agree to disagree and concede a fuckload...because anything is better than this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are they going to let the rest of the world vote in US elections?

I mean, sole-super-power-till-China-gets-itself-in-gear, the US is well able to fuck things up for everyone, and, apparently, half the US population thought Bush was a good idea... twice!

R2B2 said...

Russ, Lots of really interesting points. But I've got just two words for you: Dennis Kucinich. Just kidding. Well, not really. You know I loves me some Dennis Kucinich.

I took an instant dislike to Edwards too. What is it about him? I probably agree with a lot of what he has to say (even though Dennis Kucinich is more liberal!) but as soon as he opens his mouth, I start spacing out. I just don't like him, and I don't want to have to vote for someone I don't like. Is that so wrong? Is it?

Anyway, what's so fascinating to me about this whole thing for me is the palpable tension between him and his wife. He is really really bad at acknowledging her presence in a husbandly, or even friendly, way. He hugs her like she's a 1) a man; 2) someone he can't stand; or 3) a prickly cactus. It's more a firm shake than a hug. (I'll demonstrate next time we see each other.) We'll have to see if the cancer makes him act nice for a little bit.

R2B2

Anonymous said...

Amen, my Russell.