Wednesday, March 14, 2007

NYC: Nobody Hearts Rudy!

At least in NYC, that is.

Apparently the rest of the country still loves Rudy Guiliani ("Ghouliani") even though he's got soap opera style stuff going on in his personal business. Ghouliani's even ahead of McCain in polls, which is inconceivable! I hate his chipmunky teeth! And the fact that he's a Nazi and the instigator of the yuppification scourge hitting NYC.

Anyway, Quinnipiac released a poll today that says NYCers love our petite mayor Bloomberg more than ever. His approval rating is at a near-record high despite the Valentine's Day snowstorm tragedy (sarcasm!). And NYCers say 46-31% that Bloomie would make a better president than Ghouliani (granted, responses are split along party lines). I'm still on the fence with Bloomie. I'm over the fact that he's a Republican. He's continuing, even encouraging, the yuppification scourge, but that's now reached Frankensteinish proportions. (No one who's electable would really handle it any differently.) I admit I feel I should distrust him on principal given his gazillionairism, but he seems kind of sincere, right? He plans to head up a philanthropic group after his term ends; I mean, it's not like he's VP at Halliburton! Anyway, Quinnipiac posed the ultimate question: does Bloomie care about "the needs and problems of people like you?" then breaks answers out along party lines, race, and by borough and gender. Scroll down to number 12 here to see the responses. (Hint: Whites and Manhattanites like him an awful lot!)

In other news, NYCers are still freaking out about the Health Department closing more restaurants (even yuppie ones!) after Taco Bell Rat Fest 2007. I think the Health Department is generally more lax than they can be (I used to work in the restaurant biz), and they are definitely going overboard right now. But, hey, even though this is OBVIOUS, let's keep debating it! Or instead we can talk about this creepy editorial from the ever creepy NY Sun suggesting that good intentions and modern science negate the purpose of inspections altogether.

And we are eager to hear the grand jury verdict in the Sean Bell case. (ATLers, catch up here). Bloomie urges we stay "calm."

And one other great nugget. The MTA is banning drinking on the LIRR for St Patrick's Day on Saturday citing potential "disruptions." And the Irish American community is screaming stereotyping. Which is odd because Irish people don't really drink that much.

3 comments:

Russ said...

Yeah this is Rusty, I'm calling from Atlanta... I like to think of him as either Count Chocula or Gargamel. Think of it, it works. His son Andy was his Azriel.

R2B2 said...

Don't toy with me, Russ! You know I want to have my own radio show.

Russ said...

As long as you don't talk over me and cut me off like the Count did when the mother of that police shooting victim called into that talk to the mayor show.