Wednesday, March 14, 2007

R.I.P. Jean Baudrillard


"The order of the world is always right - such is the judgement of God. For God has departed, but he has left his judgement behind, the way the Cheshire Cat left his grin." - from Cool Memories.

This really speaks to me. I feel that many "god-fearing" people are exactly that - terrified of god (Baudrillard goes big G, I love him but not enough to follow suit). They are religious more out of fear of Judgement Day than any true religious sentiment. Do you want a happy god or a vengeful god?

It's also a cool response to his ancestors. It's like he's saying "God isn't dead, not when he exerts a pull over so many people. God may be dead to you, Jean-Paul, but not to me." And then Sartre would be all like "You're dead to me!", exactly the way Janice Dickinson said it to poor Brooke on America's Next Top Model that one time.

He would have a point, because they are both dead now (Sartre and Baudrillard, not Janice and Brooke. Although Brooke could conceivably have died and we wouldn't have heard about it, because you don't even hear anything about the girls who win, let alone the third one to get sent home. I sure hope not. If you're out there, Brooke, send a shout-out...).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

6 degrees- Baudrillard and Iggy Pop.