Tuesday, May 22, 2007

This Buying Weird Shit in Quantities of Three is Getting a Little Creepy


Hot on the heels of my purchase of three Bill Richardson bumper stickers (by the way, I already made that convert for sticker #3 - a similarly enraged co-worker is all about Bill thanks to my prattling on about him), I for some strange reason purchased this afternoon not one, not two, but three thermodynamic drinking birds (see above picture). Let me point out that I had no idea what the proper name for these is and I challenge all of you to try to google them and actually find something even close to it. I had no idea how to describe what it was I wanted. Bird drinking cocktail? Drinking bird? Drinking bird top hat? It did not help that for the first 1/2 hour or so I was convinced it was a duck, so try all of the above with duck instead of bird.

Proving once again that photographic memory of every single Simpsons episode is actually a good thing, I recalled that Homer uses one of these things to work the computer for him in the epsiode where he intentionally becomes obese in order to work from home on disability. Fortunately there are scores of losers who not only remember every epsiode but are dorky enough to write about them endlessly on line, and I soon found my way, via an episode recap, to the money phrase "drinking bird toy." Four minutes later, I had purchased three of them. I chalk this up to a new romance I have going on with PayPal. But that's a story that deserves its own entry.

An aside - Question of the day: Why do I always have to drop the kids off when I sit down to bog? Does anyone else find blogging to be a laxative?

1 comment:

R2B2 said...

What do you do with those birds? They teeter totter and get tipsy?

Sadly, the only thing in this world that I find to have a laxative effect is a laxative.