Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Yellowface Alert


You've probably all heard about Rob Schneider's yellowface act in Adam Sandler's latest turd Chuck and Larry. Apparently he even refers to the wedding ring as the "ling." Come on. They could at least have come up with a less stale joke.

I'd like to say I'm not surprised, but I kind of am. I mean, I know we're still political zeros and liable to get beaten with a lead pipe the next time a Ford plant closes. But don't y'all see my peeps on TV commercials? We're buying cell phones. We're eating bacon double cheeseburgers. We're using antidepressants! How much more American can we get?

Everyone seems to be uniformly outraged by the movie as whole for being terribly, terribly stupid, and by Rob Schneider's character, for obvious reasons. But I hear people saying that the yellowface fits in with the ignorant portrayal of gays in the rest of the movie, which I don't think is entirely accurate. Though the characterization of gay men is entirely backwards, isn't it in kind of in a "I'm not gay, not that there's anything wrong with it" kind of way. Like what a progressive frat boy or your dad—or anyone else who grew up on another planet or in another era—would think. I bet most of the men who went to see this movie (and that's a pretty select group of "special" individuals) are patting themselves on the back, even though the gay themes only serve to reinforce Adam Sandlers' extreme, incontrovertible heterosexuality. It's like kinder, gentler bigotry. Like Hooters is a kind of mellow misogyny. It's still disgusting, to be sure, and is arguably more dangerous than straight up hate. But, my point is that it's different, not that it's necessarily better or worse.

This Rob Schneider bullshit is just utter nonsense, without the "I'm ok, you're ok" wink wink nudge nudge subtext. What the fuck!? Am I going to have to karate chop the motherfucker?

1 comment:

Russ said...

I had not even heard about this. I have read probably three reviews excoriating the movie for it's shitty attempts at post-pc, which is a thing that must be delicately handled. I read a lot about how it's not okay to use "fag" even if you wind up accepting fags in the end, and i read a lot about why does Isaiah Washington get fired for it but these guys can say it, etc. Nothing about what looks like the most egregious case of yellowface since Mickey Rooney taped up the corners of his eyes.