Friday, July 13, 2007

Cool Artist of the Day: Maurizio Cattelan


It's been a while since I posted a cool artist of the day. But I not only adore this crazy assed motherfucker, I also feel that this particular work resonates very stronlgy with me today given the way my day has been going (I am at work; say no more).

Anyway, this piece is called "bidibidobidiboo" - I have no idea what that means - and it is a squirrel who just couldn't take it any more and has sat himself down at the hitchen table and committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. The squirrel is a real, taxidermied specimen, and Cattelan places the work on the floor in the corner of the gallery or exhibition space, so it's small. It's also sad, hilarious, and just plain brilliant.

1 comment:

R2B2 said...

I keep coming back to this squirrel. I've been looking for a taxidermy squirrel to place alongside my television, but maybe I should stage a little scene like this instead.