Friday, October 12, 2007

Sabbath!


The most odious part of my job (well, one of the most odious) is entering in attorneys' time. It depresses the shit out of me because they have terrible handwriting, the task is neverending - there is a new timesheet to enter every fucking day, and the whole exercise is a constant reminder of my meagre salary and social status as a lowly, lowly worm.

Having just returned from vacation, I have a giant pile of these annoying things to take care of, and the only thing worse than one day's worth of timesheets is more than one day's worth of timesheets (in this case I have a total of 16). Fortunately, I have discovered a way to make this horrible, mindless task slightly more palatable - Timesheet Music. I have found the perfect music for time entry - serious metal, thrash, and hardcore punk - and burned a couple of appropriate CDs for myself.

Which brings me to my point. Sabbath! Black Sabbath are so fucking awesome that it is actually quite ridiculous. I think Geezer Butler may be my favorite bassist of all time. One of them anyway (Russ Sr. is angrily saying something to his computer screen about Geddy Lee as he's reading this, I guarantee it). Plus, look how cool Geezer Butler is. I love this look. The whole Furry Freak movement is kind of bringing this look back, but only kind of. Devendra Banhart and Co. are hairy, sure, but in a much more 60's mountian man kind of way, not a 70s working class English proto-methhead kind of way. I can't put my finger on it, but somehow Lemmy and Geezer and all those guys just look cooler, harder, and way more like the kind of fuzzy Muppets you would want to get really drunk with. There is a reason why the only people in entertainment who had long hair and beards in the period from 1980 until now were all speed metal guys. Because of Sabbath!!!

1 comment:

R2B2 said...

if you love black sabbath (and muppest) so much, why don't you marry it?